Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Di




Name: Di

What department do you work in: Ski Area GM

How long have you worked at Alyeska Resort? What other departments have you worked in?
Since 1994. I have been a lift operator, snowmaker, trail crew, ski patrol, night ski patrol supervisor, mountain host supervisor, mountain services manager. I have also helped out at the rental shop, ticket offices, mountain events when needed and drove the shuttle bus.

Have you worked at other resorts; what did you do there?
Crested Butte mountain resort in the late 80's during college at Western State, where I was a children's ski school instructor and a cashier at the upper mountain restuarant.

What brought you to Girdwood/ Alyeska?
I was raised in Anchorage and grew up skiing at Alyeska. After college I decided to move to Girdwood to be a ski bum for a season and never left.

What is your favorite thing about Girdwood/ Alyeska?
Powder, of course. As well as all the really great people that live in this community.

Do you ski or snowboard? What other recreational activites do you enjoy in the local area?
I am a former snowboarder and telemark skier too, but I prefer to ski. I also like to whitewater kayak and raft, fly fish, camp, DH bike at Alyeska, hike and run. And hang with my family.

Any other resorts you'd like to give a shout out to?
I really enjoyed Mammoth Mountain when I went there, but of course they were in a crazy storm cycle with lots of powder.  Super fun and the people there were really friendly.

What piece of advice would you give to our guests?
Winter: Don't be discouraged if it's raining at the base- it means it dumping up top and epic & bring your fat skis. 
Summer: Be responsible with your trash so the bears don't have to be shot. Give all wildlife plenty of space.

No comments: